Sunday, September 13, 2009

Toad Hunting


These toads are our new found friends. We see them in the early mornings when we walk. They are in the gutter next to the side walks lining the Shadow Creek Golf Coarse near our home.

One morning I got home from my walk and got the boys up to go toad hunting. They were soooo excited.
We took big Ziploc bags to hold them in until we got home.





The boys would walk along the edge looking for them and would get excited when they saw one. It was so funny because most of the time they would get up to it and say "oop it's dead". They got pretty good at spotting the dead one and pointed out that they usually had holes.
We rescued two and they named them. King Toad is the big one and Ninja Toad is the smaller one and he was hiding under the leafs most of the time. We released these two at Kolob Reservoir.
A few weeks after we released them I noticed the toads on the street were getting bigger. I decided to take a rubber glove with me on my walk and I would surprise the boys and catch them two more (bigger) toads. My friend Chris and I caught two for them but it was quite the show for the people passing by. Even with a rubber glove I couldn't bring myself to touch them. So we found a cup and had them jump into the cup. With my rubber glove on still I held my hand over the cup so they couldn't get out and every time they would jump I would scream. I had Chris on a hunt for something that I could put over the top of the cup do that I didn't have to feel them jumping. She found something and we made it home but it seemed like it took us forever.
The boys were so excited and loved that they were so much bigger. We released them into the back yard to try to give them a better life and save them from frying on the side of the road. A couple weeks have gone by and we hadn't seen the toads in the yard. Until last night that is! I looked outside last night and saw something on our patio. It was one of the toads and it had tripled in size! Wow they are surviving. Now I hope we don't end up with a lot of baby toads. Two is enough for our family!!! ha ha My husband is soooo good to put up with me and my crazy ways!! This is our kind of big city hunting!!! What fun!



4 comments:

  1. Hey Tina...

    Check this out...

    http://buzz.blogger.com/search/label/10th%20Birthday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Stewarts,
    Today, I was thinking about MaKell. I can't believe she is 12! Seems like yesterday you were moving in and she was only 2! My, how time flies! I hope she has a wonderful birthday! We miss you! xoxox Angie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe. You are too funny, Tina. You always find a way to have fun and adventures.

    ReplyDelete